My Turbo Outlet Adapter
To fit the Turbocoupe Intercooler to the Merkur's stock turbo, there
are a few options. Since the TC Intercooler is the basis of my Air/Water
Intercooler system, I decided to have a special casting made just to make
this adaptation. I soon found out that sand casting would be the
only option that would be of reasonable expense. I then set about
making a mock up of exactly what I would need.
I had an aluminum adapter that was roughly similar, but not real close.
I ground on it with my dremel tool, and built up parts of it with an epoxy
putty. I fitted the TC Intercooler to my Merkur's turbo and duct
taped it into position. I filled the duct taped area with epoxy putty
and let it harden. I then ground it smooth and contoured it, building
up and grinding down areas to get it just right. I then cut it loose
from the TC Intercooler along the original edge of the intercooler's tank.
I wanted to
be able to fit a thermister to the intercooler later, to measure the turbo
outlet temperature, before the intercooler, so I added a boss with a threaded
plug in it. I added a smoothe contour around this boss in my casting.
Then I took my part to the foundry and they told me that I needed to
have a specific draft (taper of the wall) to the part, and would need a
core print since it is hollow. Basically, I would need a special
pattern made from wood (of all things) and would need to talk to a patternmaker.
The pattern maker used my part, but said that he really preferred to
work from a drawing with measurements, not a real part. Damn...all
that work for nothing!!! Anyways, the pattern was not cheap, but
I had it made. The photos below are the two halves of the part.
There is a third component called the core print which I did not photograph.
It basically is the same as the "void" in the part.
The "bulge" on the back of the fitting is not a casting sprue, but is
instead my contoured boss for any instruments, etc... that someone might
want to fit to the part.
This is a picture of the rough part. I have it milled
flat on the bottom side so it seals well against the turbo. I also
add the bolt holes.
What I like to do is weld the part directly to the intercooler, which
eliminates the hose connection, which can be a pain when changing plug
wires, etc.. I do this using a mock-up of the Merkur engine.
Actually, it is an extra head, exhaust manifold, turbo, and intake that
I have from my parts car.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN
TO THE REFERENCE PAGE
CLICK HERE TO RETURN
TO THE MY COMPONENTS PAGE